History of Lancaster Area Coalition for the Homeless
With the exit of Family Promise from Lancaster County a group of concerned residents, civic leaders, law enforcement and other non-profit organizations recognized a need for homeless services in our community. United Way of Lancaster County facilitated a planning meeting in 2014. From that meeting of nearly 50 persons the Lancaster Area Coalition for the Homeless was born. The coalition still operates under the umbrella of the United Way of Lancaster County.
Become A Member
The Lancaster Area Coalition for the Homeless meets monthly and membership is open to any person interested in helping find solutions for the homeless population of Lancaster County. Call 803.283.8923 for more information.
Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week 2022 NEW JANUARY 2022!
Ways to Donate
- Online - Select the 'Donate' option on the United Way of Lancaster County website and note it is for LACH
- Mail - Send to United Way of Lancaster County, P.O. Box 56 Lancaster, SC 29721. Make checks payable to 'United Way of Lancaster County' and indicate your donation is for L.A.C.H. in the memo of your check.
Do you know someone experiencing homelessness?
LACH may provide homeless services to referred clients through an Agency Referral Process. Emergency assistance from LACH & partner agencies may include shelter, transportation, basic necessities and/or food. Should you have a client that needs homeless services, please follow the steps below to refer your client. Once all documentation has been completed, contact our office at 803-283-8923 to discuss the client's needs of assistance.
NOTE: This is for short term emergency shelter assistance only and does not include direct case management for long term assistance for your client. Emergency shelter is provided to allow your client to secure long term, permanent housing. Access to this program is contingent upon availability of limited funds. If demands exceeds capacity/budget, LACH has the discretion to prioritize provision of assistance and reserves the right to limit or discontinue program services.
1. REVIEW POLICIES & PROCEDURES
PURPOSE: To provide emergency shelter to Lancaster County residents. Shelter may include emergency placement in a community based care setting or in a motel. Access to this program is contingent upon availability of limited funds. If demand exceeds capacity/budget, LACH has the discretion to prioritize provision of assistance and reserves the right to limit or discontinue program services.
- Must be a resident of Lancaster County and provide Photo ID
- Must have limited income and resources as determined and verified by LACH.
- Have a need for shelter based on one of the following:
- Homelessness or at risk
- Residing in housing which poses an immediate and significant health risk
- Must be suitable for the emergency shelter being requested. Clients who need assistance with personal care, for example, may not be safe in a motel.
RULES & REGULATIONS:
Review the following with your client.
- Client should be working towards a plan for housing stability within 72 hours of this hotel stay. Specifically, client or referring agency contact must be working with regional community shelters/providers for housing stability. Please see the Resource Document for additional service providers.
- Client or referring agency contact must keep LACH representatives up to date with housing status if further assistance is needed beyond emergency shelter.
- LACH will pay only for short-term emergency assistance in the motel.
- Only parties approved by LACH will be granted emergency shelter. Unapproved individuals will not be able to stay with clients.
- LACH will not cover incidentals other than phone calls to the shelters and area nonprofits.
- Clients must not actively abuse drugs or alcohol during emergency stay.
- Failure to comply with these rules could result in eviction from emergency shelter and future assistance from LACH.